Other 3D botany software :
No longer active project for colaborative improvement of 3D tree models.
Dryad project aim was to test possibility to enable ordinary people to create
high-quality 3D models of trees. Dryad was based on highly dimensional parametric
design spaces containing wide quality variations. System estimated the distribution
of good models in a space by tracking the modeling activity of users. These
estimates drive intuitive modeling tools, creating a self-reinforcing system
that becomes easier to use as more people participated.
Acording to authors of Dryad project, they succedded to colect evidence
that Dryad allowed rapid creation of complex, high-quality 3D models by
users with no specialized modeling skills or experience. However from what
can be seen on Dryad website, models created with this tool look pretty
lame. If someone has any examples of nice models made with dryad - write
me an e-mail.
Frecle Tree [D]
MS Procedural Trees
Vue d'Esprit module. Allows simple modification of existing models. (Models
can not be created from scratch). Botanica allows to modify 6 parameters
for branches, and 4 for leaves (ex. change of branch length, radius, tropism,
perturbation, angle) Botanica works with both old Vue plants and new The
Plant Factory models.
Project seems to be dead since 10 years.
Forester Arboretum aim is to create 3D trees suitable for rendering by Forester/POV-Ray.
The tree generation algorithm is flexible enough to create a wide variety
of tree species, from pines to oaks.
- Forester Arboretum uses recursive 'fractal' algorithm for generating basic
- Control of leaf shape, distribution along branches, droopiness, shininess,
- Fluting-control for altering the shape of the main tree-trunk as it enters
- Use of new POV-Ray v3.5 Mesh2 object type, minimizing tree file size and
POV-Ray parsing time.
- UV Texture Mapping, allowing JPEG or PNG files to be wrapped around the
branches and leaves to give realistic texturing.
- Automatic creation of Forester Object Library definition, with varying
Levels-Of-Detail for rendering at smaller pixel sizes.
- Plant preview in DirectX.
- Tree geometry export to OBJ and DirectX (*.X) files.
Is an advanced procedural plants modelling & animation plugin for 3DSMAX
(9 to 2013).
- Metamesh ensures smooth connection between branches and trunk etc...
- Parameters may influence other parameters, which helps in animations.
- Direction modifier "Object Slice" allows to create sheared plants
of any shape.
- Direction modifier "Object reaction" allows creation of vines
and other climbing & trailing plants by making path react on scene objects
(reflection / magnetic). This allows to create plants growing around obstacles,
or filling in closed spaces.
- Instancing of geometry allows any max objects to be used for leaves, flowers,
fruts etc... (even user made objects with hierarchies), and animated to
show growth, opening of flowers. Objects can deform along path directions
to give them unique look (ex. more or less pending leaves of different length).
Custom defined distribution is also possible (ex. buds on branch top, fruits
- Animation possible for most of parameters, so it is posible to animate
plants growth, wind, shape change etc...
- Instancing system (ecosystems) controled by maps (for distribution, density,
weights of plants populating terrains).
Is a simple C4D/3DSMAX plugin allowing very easy loading and handling of
10 tree specuies into 3D scenes.
- Simplified Open GL preview of trees ensures that hundreds trees added
to the scene won't killing the GPU.
- Each model comes in 3 variations of shapes, 3 sizes, and 3 season (spring,
sumer, autumn), so 36 version of one tree.
Plants can be directly changed inside the scene (without having to manualy
replace the model).
It seems that Laubwerk Plants does not offer any support for wind animation.
Any other customisation of tress are impossible (except what can be done
by C4D with any models - ex. change leaf/trunk material)
Great piece of fostware when you just need to add nice, detailed trees into
3D scenes, and don't intend to create any special models, as this is impossible
in Laubverk Plants.
Unity Tree Creator
Virtual Gardening / Bonsai